Friday, April 07, 2006

views on views

A lot of people don't believe in 3-dollar coffees. Neither do I. But that has not stopped me from throwing money on countless mochas at the neighborhood Starbucks. I mean after all it is called "Starbucks". Should have seen it coming. (But that's another topic altogether.) Unlike some, I do not share the fascination with coffee. Nor am I taken by the really disconnected and mostly shoddy music that plays at high pitches than required at those joints. I guess I can blame the capitalism that has sucked me into their mochas (or was it the other way round).

We can blame the capitalists, the lobbyists, the leftists, the rightists, the propaganda-ist. It's not that hard really. And if we say that we are better off or not with them around, it is a personal opinion and nothing to do with the current state of the world.

Like Superman said, that he doesn't drink before he flies and as I say I don't fly before I drink. Your view really depends on who you are. And what makes you is nothing but an aggregation of your viewpoints. That's the recursive definition of a person. But again, that's my view.

What are so relevant but often ignored are the reasons behind holding those views close to the heart. Developing an opinion is a gradual process - one that is a summation of your environments. Switching it is almost instantaneous as all it takes is a jibe at your belief brought upon by a one-off experience. While a gradually developed view has a lot of room for change, one that is created overnight becomes carved in stone.

And erosion of those stone carvings can come only by chipping away at the stone. So it's upto you to mould a sculpture or quarry the stone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home