Thursday, July 06, 2006

bowling blues

Here's what I had to ramble (I say I had to because I couldn't resist) when the issue of bowling crept up when no one bowled really well in one of the matches. Here goes (from the understandings and limited experience of an errant bowler).....

Although there are somethings we learn from experience, there are some basics that I try to follow while bowling or batting or fielding. Most of the time the bowler knows what he is capable and a good line and length is all that is really required to strangle most of the batsmen. That however, as we all know, is easier said than done.

But to me, what is most important is concentration. For every ball I bowl, I need to remind myself that I have to pitch it here or pitch it there. As easy as it may seem, it's very difficult to do that for each and every ball, at least for me. So I've kinda developed a routine to tell myself while I'm walking to the mark to start my run up that I need to bowl short/full/good length/fast/slow or whatever. And again remind myself while I'm taking the run-up just to make sure that I don't forget why I'm running. But it's important that I know what I'm trying to do here even if I don't succeed. And different bowlers bowl different balls in different ways but I try to make it a point to aim for the spot where I should be bowling.

As a batsman, I try to do the same thing, i.e. concentrate on the ball and try not to pre-meditate the shot but here I'm controlling the pace of the game. I can take my own time before facing the next ball. When I'm bowling I've to keep up with the pace of the game. I can't take a lot of time between balls. So it's a little difficult as a bowler.

Another constant reminder is not to try too hard for the pace. Extra pace can be used to beat the tail-enders but with good batsmen it can backfire (if I haven't already lost the control and bowled a wide). Every bowler has his own optimal speed. If I try to bowl faster or slower than that optimal speed, I tend to lose control. So I guess these variations need practicing in order to be successful.

But then again, every pitch is a different pitch and especially in our league it could be hard since some pitches are skewed or some run-ups have slopes but that's what we've to work with. (Actually, on these pitches, more often than not, slow bowling can work wonders). Sometimes I've to make minor adjustments like bowling from close to the stumps, or taking a longer time to jump or whatever but unless I've control of the ball, it's all useless. Everybody gets hit sometimes but it's important to not make the same mistake on the very next ball.

So basically, what I try to achieve is

a) concentration and

b) control

The rest of things like pace, variation, etc. can take a back seat initially.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home